Top 10 Questions Concerning the Property Reassessment and the Impact on Property Taxes

Monmouth County Open Public Records Search

Follow the Link:

Monmouth County Tax Board Portal

Follow the Link:

Property Tax Benefits & Deductions

Download Applications for Property Tax Deductions

Follow the Link: 

Resident Change of Address Form (Click to Download)

Tax Appeals

Assessment postcards will be mailed early November.  Please review your assessment and if you disagree with the value placed on your property you may file an appeal with the Monmouth County Board of Taxation between December 1st and January 15th.  The burden of proof is on the property owner to prove that the assessed value placed on your property is incorrect.  Tax appeals are filed directly with the Monmouth County Board of Taxation. You may file an appeal on line or download forms from the Monmouth County site (see links below).

Please read the packet attached for additional information regarding filing a Tax Appeal.
Packet: Understanding Property Assessment Appeals

Monmouth County Website Links: 

File an appeal online
Monmouth County Tax Board

Responsibilities of the Office

The Assessor's Office, under the direction of the Monmouth County Board of Taxation and the State Director of Taxation, undertakes the assessing activities of the Township of Holmdel as set by law.

The Tax Assessor's Office provides the information necessary to ensure an accurate valuation of properties and the equitable distribution of the real estate tax levy so that all taxpayers pay their fair share of the obligations of the schools, Monmouth County and the municipality of Holmdel.

The tax rate is formulated by the County Tax Board from the approved budgets of the county, the school district and the municipality. It is the Assessor's responsibility to process all changes in property status i.e. processing building permits to determine value for added assessments, add new ratables to the tax rolls, process farmland assessments, senior / disabled deductions and veteran deductions.

Filing for Deductions

You may file for a $250 veteran deduction, with no budgetary requirements, if you were a veteran during wartime years. A senior or disabled citizen, earning less than $10,000 per year (combined spousal income), excluding your social security, may file for a senior / disabled deduction. These forms are available online at the sites listed or in the Assessor's Office.

If you are over 65 years of age and have lived in New Jersey for 10 years and in your current residence for 3 years, you may apply for the reimbursement / freeze act through the State of New Jersey by calling 800-882-6597.